Saturday, March 26, 2005

Advice from a Martyr

I finished reading aloud the book Martyr of the Catacombs on Thursday night. Some of the dialog was above the heads of our children. I did stop frequently to quiz them on what was going on and they did ask questions. Once again, I think it is a very good book.

Just one conversation from the book that I wanted to mention. Marcellus, the Roman soldier, is so interested in the faith and peace of the Christians that he forces one of them to take him to the many living in the Catacombs. This is where he meets Honorius, the old, wise Christian. Marcellus accepts the Lord as his savior and resigns his position as a Roman soldier, despite the attempt by his best friend and superior, Lucullus, to change his mind. The persecutions increase against the Christians and Marcellus is caught and imprisoned, to go on trial the next day. Lucullus stays all night with him in his cell trying to, first, talk him into recanting his faith. Marcellus doesn't budge. After Lucullus realizes that he will not recant, he proposes to Marcellus to remain a Christian in secret. He could once again resume his position in the Roman military service and he would in turn, be able to help the Christians more by smuggling to them the food and substances they need for survival. He mentioned the other “Christians” who were living in Rome who “profess the religion of the State but in secret prefer the religion of the Christians.” He then asked “Do you call these men hypocritical and perjurers? Are they not rather your benefactors and friends?”

I fear this is the state of many of the “Christians” today. They are living two lives. Although we don't see this type of persecution on our own soil, we are afraid of the persecution of our friends and families. If we completely sell out to Jesus as Marcellus did (as we will see by his response), you can't live a double life. It's all or nothing. It's not three times a week. It's every day of every week. Although this is a fictional book, I can only stand in awe at the faith and steadfastness that these people portrayed. I've read enough accounts of the real martyrs that follow along the same lines as these. Once again...awe.

Marcellus responds. He says “These men have never learned the Christian's faith and hope as I have. They have never known the new birth, the new divine nature, the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit, communion with the Son of the living God, as I know. They have not known the love of God springing up within their hearts to give them new feelings and hopes and desires. For them to sympathize with the Christians and to help them is a good thing; but the Christian who could be base enough to abjure his faith and deny the Savior that redeemed him, could never have enough generosity in his traitorous soul to assist his forsaken brethren.” He goes on a little later to say “My Savior cannot be worshiped in this way (hidden or in secret). His followers must confess Him openly. 'Whosoever,' He says, 'shall confess me before men, shall the Son of man also confess him before the angels of God.' To deny Him in my life or in outward appearance is precisely the same as denying Him by the formal manner which the law lays down. This I cannot do. I love Him who first loved me and gave Himself for me. My highest joy is to proclaim Him before men; to die for Him will be my noblest act, and the martyr's crown my most glorious reward.”

I don't think much has changed. There are still mass quantities of Christians who don't experience the change that Marcellus describes. They don't experience the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. No new birth. No new divine nature. We may add Christ to our life, but we don't allow our “old man” to be “crucified”. No communion with the Son of the living God. We accept this as the norm. Just like Lucullus knew that there was a radical thread of the Christians, but he also thought of the “above ground” people to be Christian as well. He saw no problem with living a life honoring the ceremonies of the pagan Romans but being “Christian” on the inside. It can't mix. It's like oil and water. I know I sometimes try to keep my light hidden under the bowl. What a disservice and a slap in the face this must be to the one who created us as well as saved us from an eternal hell. It hurts me to think I may be hurting Him like that. I certainly have room to grow. This is not an excuse, but a challenge to myself. Hmm, taking advice from a martyr.

God bless!

“…holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:” Heb. 12:14

No comments: