Thursday, May 19, 2005

Simple Gifts

'Tis the gift to be simple,
'Tis the gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
It will be in the valley of love and delight.

When true simplicity is gained,
to bow and to bend, we shan't be ashamed
To turn, turn, will be our delight,
'Til by turning, turning, we come round right.

Simple Gifts was written by Shaker Elder Joseph Brackett, Jr. in 1848. It was first published in The Gift to be Simple: Shaker Rituals and Songs. Simple Gifts was a work song sung by the United Society of Believers in Christ's Second Appearing (more commonly called the Shakers, an offshoot of the Quakers). The bowing, bending and turning described in the song actually referred to the dancing that went along with many of their songs.

I sometimes catch myself feeling like the Shakers, Quakers and Amish. Keep it simple and basic. There is nothing wrong with a simple lifestyle, but I also catch myself finding comfort and security in this. I like to SEE that I'm doing something “for the Lord”. I know that many of the Amish today find security and comfort in their lifestyle. Why else would they continue in the inconvenience of no electricty...no phones...no automobiles if they didn't? Many of them don't act holy, but yet they continue with the outward appearance. I think many of them find their salvation in their lifestyle. Once again, I sometimes catch myself in this thinking. This thinking is not only inaccurate, but it is a sin and an insult to God and His Son, Jesus Christ.

Reading through Romans this morning, I was reminded of my error. In Romans 4:4-5 it says: “4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. I know that my works do not save me. If anyone asked me that, I would 100% of the time say “NO, a persons works can't save them!” (or something close to that). Why, then, do I find comfort and security in simplicity? Is it pride and/or self-centered-ness? Deep inside of me, I can't deny that I truly believe that this is right. That a simple life is better then a fast-paced, hectic life. Spending time at home with my family. Becoming less dependent on others (by way of gardening, raising productive animals, etc.). Trying to remove distractions like television and movies and constant noise like what we might allow radio and music to become. I'm not saying that all of these things are bad. If you could find something edifying to watch or listen to, I don't see a problem with it in moderation. The problem is convincing me that anything on TV is edifying.

I guess what it boils down to is that, to me, this lifestyle is a gift as the song states. I wouldn't trade my home and land for a big city home any day. Yes, chores in the country take time and energy. The benefits far out-way the work any day. This is not my salvation, but it is truly a gift from God.

God bless!!

“…holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:” Heb. 12:14

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Troy,

I remember singing that song in choir. My choir teacher was a Christian lady. I have a lot of respect for her.

It is a blessing to live in the country and have such a simple life. It seems though even though we live in the country we think we need to fill our time with SOMETHING. That is a big struggle for Bryce and I, to realize that the most important thing we have to do is be with our children: work with them, play with them, read together, pray together. Let them know that there is no other place on this earth that is better than being at home with their family. That is our goal.

God Bless you and yours!

Angel Steiner

Troy said...

Thanks, Angel. I agree. I've heard that it's not the quantity of time, but the quality of time that you spend with your children. It's actually both. I've known people who spent most of their lives at home and still lost their children to the world. It's how we spend that time. Just because we're homeschoolers and spend mass quantities of time with them doesn't mean we won't loose them to the world. It's what we're doing. What we're reading. What we're watching. If it's not edifying to Christ, we shouldn't be doing it let alone doing it with our children. Are we enticing them with worldly pleasures? Are we giving them just enough of the world to spark their curiosity (lust)? Or are we putting holy things before them? We all know what we need to do. Doing it is sometimes another story.

Sorry for rambling. I'm up later than I should be. God bless you and your family, also.