Monday, January 21, 2008

Make My Life a Prayer to You

I first started listening to Keith Green in high school with my brother and friend. I appreciated his musical talent, but frankly, at that time in my life the music wasn’t hard-core enough so I ditched it. After I reeled in my “wild oats”, I came back to his music and began to appreciate it for its message of holiness and no-compromise; something I certainly was NOT looking for in high school. Keith died in a plane crash in 1982, before I’d even heard of him. His music is still as meaningful today as it was when it was written, in a time of “spiritual journeys”, drugs, mysticism and the Jesus movement. If you’ve never heard of him, you no doubt have heard his music. Hymns such as “O Lord, You’re Beautiful” and “There Is A Redeemer”, as well as many choruses sang in churches and Sunday Schools. His life account is recorded by his wife, Melody, in her book “No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green” (1989). Although I don’t always agree with his theological stance, you have to admire his passion and zeal. I recommend the book. It’s an easy, quick read. Parents, you may want to read it before giving it to your teens. It’s not vulgar or profane, but it does describe life in the sixties and seventies (sex, drugs and rock-n-roll). If you think that he was just another contemporary Christian musical artist just singing words with little or no meaning, read his book. Any long-time readers of “sheep and goats” know that I quote his music from time to time. Here’s another one of my favorites of his.

 

Make My Life a Prayer to You

By: Keith Green

 

Make my life a prayer to You
I want to do what You want me to
No empty words, no white lies
No token prayers, no compromise

I want to shine the light You gave
Through Your Son You sent to save us
From ourselves and our despair
It comforts me to know You're really there

Well, I want to thank You now for being patient with me
Oh, it's so hard to see when my eyes are on me
I guess I'll have to trust and just believe what You say
Oh, You're coming again, coming to take me away

I want to die and let You give Your life to me that I might live
And share the hope You gave to me
The love that set me free
I want to tell the world out there
You're not some fable or fairy tale
That I've made up inside my head
You're God the Son, You've risen from the dead

I want to die and let You give Your life to me that I might live
And share the hope You gave to me
I want to share the love that set me free
 

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not a fan of all of his music. I can count on one hand the songs I like but his passion for the Lord and his desire not to hinder the Lord but be used be him makes me appreciate his example.

Troy said...

I'll bet we could come up with enough of his songs that you appreciate to count on two hands. That's only six!

Muddy said...

I just got through catching up on your blog. To both you and Eshell, I am very sorry for the loss of your son. You may or may not know that my husband and I lost three babies after the birth of our two children back in 1993 and 1994. (I have posted here and there in remembrance of them on my blog) I cannot begin to describe in this small comment box how God has used the situation in our lives and the lives of our two kids. (so feel free to email me if you'd like to talk more about it) There was one book that I found very helpful by Maureen Rank called Free to Grieve. It was written in a Christian perspective and I appreciated how God used it to comfort me. Anyway, it still hurts at times...though God has in his way, given me pause for praising him in it as well.
There was also something that J Vernon McGee wrote that was very comforting (as he lost his three year old son). It was in a book of collected writings of his that someone loaned us at that time. I believe it was The best of J.Vernon McGee. (best loved sermons volume1)

Praying for you both. The offer to talk stands anytime.