Monday, February 18, 2008

Back By Popular Demand

Another weather report!

Because my wife loves to hear about the weather up here, here’s another installment. We got clobbered again yesterday. We had a minimum of six inches on the ground all over and drifts up to three feet deep that we had to shovel this morning. Schools again were canceled. This additional snow is on top of the 20-25” base that we already had on the ground. While my son and I were vigorously shoveling this morning, my wife popped her lovely head out the door. I was waiting for “Boy, you guys are sure doing a great job!” Instead, I heard “They’re calling for another seven inches today…you’re wasting your time”. Talk about taking the wind out of your sails. She pulled her head back inside before I could sock her with a snowball. We finished up shoveling and I made it to work.

Quick Stats:

Snow to date this season: 127” (that’s over 10 ½ feet)

Deviation from normal: -.8”

Snow depth (on average): 20”

We also had the running of the UP 200 this weekend. This is a shorter version of the Alaskan Iditarod. The dog teams left downtown Marquette, MI between 7:10pm and 8:00pm in two minute intervals on Friday night. They mushed to Grand Marais, MI and returned to Marquette (240 miles round trip) Sunday afternoon. This was a great time to experience a little bit of culture that you don’t find in the southern states. I also have an open offer extended to drive one of the teams of a couple we know. They assure me that the dogs know what they’re doing; I just need to hold on to the sled. We’ll see about that.

I do have other posts in the works. It’s just a matter of getting the time to pull them out of my head and onto the keyboard. I had to get this one done, though. Not only does my wife love living in this frozen tundra, she loves to hear about it.

No comments: