Saturday, December 25, 2004

The Reason for the "Reason for the Season"

I can’t really explain it, but Christmas has kind of lost it’s luster. I don’t view myself as a Scrooge. I can’t exactly put my finger on it. I love to give gifts to my children. They have a great time. Part of it might come from the over-commercialization we’ve done to Christmas (as a nation). I don’t feel we can expect anything less from the un-saved. I don’t (and can’t) fault them. They are completely lost. They will do anything to bring some joy and maybe a bit of religion into their lives once or twice a year. Another part that has been weighing on my mind is the way we remember the “reason for the season”. How we remember when Jesus was born to the virgin Mary. How the wise men and the shepherds came to worship. All very nice things. Those that focus on this are at least making an attempt at bringing the holiday closer to having a Christian theme. Don’t worry, I’m not going to go off on a rant about not celebrating a holiday that has pagan origins. I’m not going to say that we shouldn’t have a tree in our house (although I do think it’s silly to cut down a perfectly fine fur tree to bring it into our house to die for a few weeks). And the only thing I will say about Santa Clause is what a fellow worker (who is quite heathen) of mine said to me. He knows about my faith in God. He also knows that I know he is a heathen. He claims nothing more than that. He came into my work area a couple weeks ago and sat down. “So, Troy…do you lie to your kids about Santa Clause?” That really made me stop and think about two things. First, is he trying to trap me knowing that I believe lying is wrong (which every moral person should believe) but seeing if I would try to justify it and admitting that I do lie to my children in this one small area? And second, here is a man who makes no claims to have any sort of religion, and he knows that “encouraging” your children to believe in Santa is nothing short of lying to your children. It made me think of all of the Christian folk I know who don’t see the harm in telling their children that there is a Santa or Easter Bunny. They tell their children that they shouldn’t lie, but they lie to them in these things. I am a firm believer that if it’s not good for the children, it’s more times than not, not good for the parents. We take a stand on not watching movies that we wouldn’t allow our children to watch. We don’t listen to music that we wouldn’t want our children to listen to. Why is it okay for us to watch a vulgar, violent or sexual movie and not our children? Or listen to music filled with sex, drugs, alcohol and Satanism? Why than is it okay to tell our children that telling a lie will send them to hell only to turn around and say that a fat man in a red suit with flying reindeer flies around the world and delivers presents to every house by slipping down the chimney and slipping back up? I will say once again, the world is watching what we do and say. They are always ready to catch us in hypocrisy. Our children likewise. This is something that has bothered me for a long time. This is not why I’m posting this, though. That was an extra.

The point that I was getting to was leaving Jesus as a baby at this time of year. Keeping Him in the manger. We (for some reason) don’t like to think of Jesus grown up. Then we have to think of the real reason the baby was born into this world. Because we are sinners. Because He gave up His life for us. Because His death makes us feel uncomfortable and unworthy. And I’m an American. Nobody makes me feel unworthy. Everything is fine and dandy, and I want it to stay this way. How dare you bring sorrow into my life. Especially at this time of year. A time of joy and happiness. I think a lot of the problem is that we don’t know the freedom that His death brought. I’m really trying to choose my words wisely. I don’t want anyone to misunderstand what I’m trying to say. I don’t think we know how to handle His death. (Here’s where I might venture out on thin ice.) That is a big problem I had with the Passion of the Christ movie. I did not see it. I had no desire to see it. It’s not that I have a weak stomach (if only some of you knew what I do for a living). When a big production comes out mainstream like that, everyone is on board for it. I think a lot of people came away from the movie with the thought that “this totally innocent man went through a lot of torture….” This is where the thought stops. Yes they had great emotions welling up in their inner beings, but seeing a man brutally beaten will do that to you. Especially if you know the man committed no crime. Did they come away from the movie with the solid realization that He went through that for them? That it was their life and lifestyle that put Him through that? Did they grasp that reality? Or did they say “man, that guy could really take a beating! What a shame.”? I am not condemning or judging anyone that saw the movie. I did not need to. I already had an appreciation for what He did for me without seeing it on a 60 ft. wide screen. I am a visual person. I have pictured what He went through in my mind time and time again. It may not be as graphic as what the movie showed. Like I said, I already have an appreciation for what He did. And I’m sure that Mr. Gibson was well intended when making this movie.

I think these issues have a parallel dilemma. On the one hand, we think we are doing good by sharing the nativity but we are not sharing the reason He came to the earth. It just feels special to have Jesus there in the manger. I like Christmas music. The traditional ones are very sweet. Away in the Manger. Little Drummer Boy. Silent Night. The ones that I especially like are the ones that take Him from the manger through His life, onto His purpose. Read all of the verses of We Three Kings. Just like what I said about the Passion. We shared His brutal death, but we failed to share why He went through that death. And maybe the movie went into more detail than what I was let on to. Feel free to correct me. If a person with no knowledge of Christ at all was to view this film, would they have enough insight after this movie to understand why He went through this and for who? I would hope so. If not, what an opportunity missed.

The next time you are encouraged to remember the “reason for the season”, feel free to think of Jesus in the manger. But don’t ever forget why He came to be in that manger. Never forget the reason for the “reason for the season”.

I know that most of you will not read this before Christmas, but I hope that each one of you has been blessed this holiday season by sharing with friends and family, and most of all blessed by your thoughts and sharing about Jesus. If you might read this on Christmas day, think about and share why Jesus came to the manger to sleep. Why God came to earth. Who He did this for. Feel blessed and know that He loves you!

God Bless!

“…holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:” Heb. 12:14

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is Jesus less fictional than Santa Claus? A man in a red suit passing out presents around the world, who you've only read about in a book, but never seen...or a long-haired man in a white robe who walks on water, who you've only read about in a book, but never seen? Which is more believable? And why? You've got to think for yourself and not look for your answers in a book.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the notorious "Anonymous" strikes again. Very valid point. You see the difference between good old St. Nick and My Savior is you can see concrete evidence of His existence everyday. His Words in The Bible have been proven by scholars time and time again.

Troy, Bryce's grandma Steiner had this very good sayings that I believe she took from scripture, "Be sure not to throw your pearls to the swine!" She was a good woman.

Thanks for the post. God Bless!!

Angel Steiner

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I remembered something else I wanted to tell you. Have you ever heard of Andrew Peterson? Well, if you haven't, he has a Christmas CD called, "Behold the Lamb of God: the true tall tale of the coming of Christ" All his songs he wrote and it starts in the Old Testament talking about the prophesies and all the way through the Bible. It is a wonderful CD!

Angel

Troy said...

Anonymous,

This is to your comment (if you ever venture back here to read this).

First, the obvious: when was the last time you SAW George Washington; Abe Lincoln; Teddy Roosevelt...? Are we to assume that because we have never seen them that they never existed? I have read about them in books but have never had the opportunity to shake their hands or talk to them. Yes, the Bible is full of stories about Jesus. However, not all of the writings about Jesus are included in the Bible. He was written about by Historians. He was even written about by people who never claimed to be followers of his. He has been proven to have walked this earth as much as George Washington, Abe Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt.

Second: despite what Hollywood (or most people that have tried to depict him) would like you to believe about his appearance, I don't think he had "long hair". Paul, the writer of the book of 1 Corinthians (in the Bible) said in chapter 11 vs. 14 "Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?" I don't think Paul would have written this if he knew Jesus had long hair.

Third: any true follower of Jesus knows, in his/her heart, without a shadow of doubt that Jesus is real. It's hard to explain, but when you start seeking and following Jesus, there is a void in your life that starts to fill. People try to fill it with everything else but Jesus: music, drugs, alcohol, sex, their job...you name it, it's failed them.

Feel free to come back and read anytime. Ask questions. E-mail me. If you're ever curious about something I wrote, feel free to ask. Thanks for reading.

God Bless!