Monday, February 07, 2005

Brick Walls, Picket Fences, I'm Right and You're Not

Once again, the Lord is shaking up my thinking. I have so much rattling around in my head. He has challenged me quite a bit, even just this weekend. I will try to get it put into words here through this week. Who knows if that will happen.

First, a friend sent an article for me to read. It was written by a Baptist minister name David Miller. It is about how we handle other doctrines and theologies. Quite interesting and much needed here. He laid it out plain and simple. He says (much paraphrased) that there are four levels in which to deal with other peoples doctrines. First was the brick wall doctrines. These are the doctrines that we must contend for. The ones that make up our core. The doctrines that Jesus was born, lived a sinless life, died a death on a cross to redeem us of our sins, was buried and rose again (obviously not a complete list). These are what we have to believe. These are what all Christians have to believe. There is no room for modification. No taking away from. These are the doctrines that we build a brick wall around. These are what we hold firm to. If two people can't agree on these doctrines, a division must take place. To quote Mr. Miller....“Salvation by grace through faith alone -- the exclusivity of salvation through Christ -- is essential doctrine. The fact of Christ's return to judge the world is necessary. Around these doctrines we must erect a brick wall -- tall and thick. Those who deny these truths are not brothers in Christ. They are wolves among the sheep. We do not fellowship with them, we contend with them. “

Next is the picket fence doctrine. These are things you can discuss with those who don't believe or worship the way you do, but obviously have the same core. After you discuss them, you are free to turn away from the picket fence and go back to your home. These are built within the brick walls. Baptists and Pentecostals have many of the same core doctrinal beliefs, but they have different views on worship (among other things). They can have conversations on their foundational beliefs and lovingly try to convince each other on the lesser beliefs. After that, they shake hands and go back to their respective worship services. Picket fences separate (not divide as brick walls do) and make pleasant boundaries.

Next is the back yard doctrine. These are things that people within your congregation or even within your home don't agree on, but are certainly not enough to divide on. Not even really enough to keep people out of your yard over. He mentions topics such as; who wrote the book of Hebrews, the pre-trib/post-trib, pre-mil/post-mil discussions. He states that these are important issues, but they are issues you can sit on your back deck and discuss.

A summery so far would be: “If a doctrine affects salvation, erect a brick wall. If it affects the fellowship or functioning of the church, erect a friendly picket fence. But if the doctrine affects neither, then sit in the backyard talking about it, but never let it become a point of division.”

Lastly is the closet doctrine. Some things should just be kept to ourselves. He brings up in the early church, people eating meat sacrificed to an idol. Paul said to let our conscience lead us in these thing. Also, how we deal with (or when) the Sabbath. “I should follow the Lordship of Christ and permit other Christians to do the same.“ To me it's been: if God called me to this, than it must be right for everyone else. I understand that I need to shake this thinking, but it's been hard.

I know there are a lot who throw up the brick wall for everything. This is actually how I was brought up. That might be why I have such a hard time with it. I read on another blog the other day that the Church of Christ/Christian Church was one of the or the fastest growing churches in the country (I hope I got that right – please correct me if I didn't). Maybe it's because they have thrown up a brick wall for everything. The churches continue to split because of trivial differences, thus the boom.

Then there are those who only put up picket fences where brick walls should be. They accept everything they hear. These people are tossed back and forth. I've heard it said that if I can talk you into something, someone else can and will talk you out of it.

Like I said, this has been a struggle with me. I have always felt that God's way for me must be the best way for everyone. Sounds arrogant, I know. I know this sounds so first-grade-ish. This should be elementary teaching, but obviously if this guy has to write an article about it, I must be the only one with this problem. God is working on me though. I will still hold to my convictions. You hold to yours.

God Bless!

“…holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:” Heb. 12:14

2 comments:

Regan Clem said...

Hi Troy.

You were right in quoting what I had on my blog about the growth of the churches of Christ/Christian Churches. However, your assumption that on a nationwide level the churches f Christ/Christian churches look like the ones in this area might be wrong. From my encounters with many churches of Christ/Christian churches outside of this area, they don't have many brick walls. They are really non-denomenational and differ tremendously from one another. The churches that are growing tremendously are the ones who have minimal brick walls and are branded liberal by the churches in this area. Broadway Christian Church in Ft. Wayne would be a good example of a growing church of Christ/Christian church that others brand as liberal. I would say the growth is happening in churches like Broadway and not the more conservative side. That is what I saw when I travelled to various churches thorought the states.

The problem, as you touched on, is what falls into what category. What are the essentials of the Christian faith that should have a brick wall around them? I don't even think we agree on them and we have a similar upbringing. It makes it very difficult because we don't want to construct picket fences where brick walls need to be and vice versa.

Troy said...

Regan,

I agree with what you said. We saw the "liberal" side at Cedar Creek C of C. Never been to Broadway, though. I also agree that we could never get the different denominations/non-denominations to agree on what to build a brick wall around. To me, this was more personal. I can't expect you or the entire "church community" to agree with my doctrines. Nor can I expect God to call everyone to my lifestyle. I've built brick walls around most of my beliefs. I may need to downgrade them to the picket fences. I certainly don't think we need to tolerate sin in the church that we are trying to pass off as a different worship style or just a different interpretation of scripture. Sin is still sin. This article didn't change my convictions; it more made me not think everyone had to have my convictions. Make sense?