Friday, February 11, 2005

Hearers and Doers

I started reading through James yesterday. I know that it's only five chapters long and I should have finished it, but two things happened to prevent it. One, my wife got up at about 5:15 or 5:30. When that happens, all my “quiet” time goes out the window. I love her like you wouldn't believe, but when we are up together she talks, asks questions and wants to read to me what she has been reading. I try to explain to her that that's why I get up at 4:30, for some private QUIET time. She explained to me that she couldn't sleep and might as well be up with me. It all worked out. We had fun talking and sharing.

The second thing that prevented me from finishing was that I got stuck on chapter one. Starting at verse 22, James says that we need to be hearers of the word. This word that is able to save you (vs. 21). We need to hear it and receive it. And not only receive (believe, accept) but we need to do what the word says. Be hearers and doers of the word. A lot of people are hearing, but are they listening? I sometimes say that to my children. “Are you listening? I know you can hear me, but are you listening?” It's because I have something important to say to them. It may be something to keep them out of trouble or danger.

This reminds me of King Saul in 1 Samuel chapter 15. God told the prophet Samuel to tell Saul to wipe out the Amalekites; completely. Spare nobody or nothing. Saul heard this. The problem was, he only listened to a portion of it. He obviously heard what Samuel said or else he wouldn't have went to the city of Amalek. He destroyed the people of Amalek, but he spared the King (Agag) and brought him back with him. He also allowed his men to bring back the choicest sheep, oxen, fatlings and lambs. When Saul met Samuel he said “We did what God had said!” Then I think one of the funniest verses of the Bible is what Samuel said in response. Vs. 14 says “And Samuel said, What meaneth this bleating of the sheep in mine ears, and the lowing of the oxen which I hear?” In other words, you certainly did NOT do what the Lord had commanded. He said to destroy everything! Saul says, “We brought back the best of everything to sacrifice to God. You know how much God likes sacrifice!” [Vs. 22&23] “And Samuel said, Hath the Lord a great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams. For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the Lord, he hath also rejected thee from being king.” Saul lost his kingship because he was a hearer and not a doer.

In verses 23&24, James says that a hearer only is like a man that looks into a mirror and turns away. Right after he turns away, he forgets what kind of man he is. Like a man sitting in church hearing a good message. Once again, “Are you listening to me or just hearing me?” He hears a message that might even stir his heart. When he leaves the church, he does not act on what he heard. He was a hearer but no doer. He lives the week out like a devil. When he left the church, because he did not do what he heard, he forgot what he heard. He forgot that he was even a Christian at times. He “...forgetteth what manner of man he was.” When we hear and don't do, we lose what we heard. Someone that has learned Calculus that doesn't use it every day will certainly lose it. I took Calculus in college eight years ago, but I have never used it once in my job. Could I explain to you how sine waves and logarithms work? Not a chance. We need to apply what we hear.

God gives us things he expects us to act on; give away (or share); or use them. He may give us a message to share. If we don't share it, it's worthless. God gave Lot a message. He acted on it and it saved his life. God blesses us with finances. He expects us to bless others in return. God gives us faith. If we don't act on this faith, it's worthless. James, a little later, talks about faith without works...he says it's DEAD. Read the parable of the talents in Matthew 25:14-30. How does God feel about those that don't use what He gives to them (vs. 30)?

These are just a few things that God held me up in James for yesterday. I've never been one to teach or preach verse by verse, but I think I could with James. It is one of my favorite books. I have probably read it more than any other book of the Bible. If I can get my thoughts together and organized on this passage, I'll probably preach it this weekend. Anyways, have a great day today!

God Bless!

“…holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:” Heb. 12:14

No comments: