Friday, October 22, 2004

Asleep In the Light

Disclaimer: Please stop reading…this post was written for me.

Most people at my work would call me a nice person. Most even know that I am a Christian. But how often do I share my Christ with them? I see people hurting all the time. Have I grown that calloused that it doesn’t bother me anymore? Why can’t I just tell them that I have an answer to all of their problems? Jesus can, will and does make it all better. What happened to the passion for the lost and dying? Am I that comfortable with my salvation that I’m not worried how the others get there? “I’ve got my ticket, you could walk for I care-or don’t walk…suit yourself.” I understand that we all have to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling. But do they know there is a salvation? Do they know they qualify for it? There are so many hurting people. You know the alcoholic that works next to you…he’s hurting. The adulterous man that lives next to you…he’s hurting. The rich charitable man who never darkens the doorway of a church…he’s hurting. The kid with the rotten home-life that comes over to play with your children…he’s hurting. Why aren’t we sharing with these people? Am I really that worried about what they will think of me? The late Keith Green touched on this topic in one of his songs.

Do you see, do you see
All the people sinking down
Don't you care, don't you care
Are you gonna let them drown

How can you be so numb
Not to care if they come
You close your eyes
And pretend the job's done

"Oh bless me Lord, bless me Lord"
You know it's all I ever hear
No one aches, no one hurts
No one even sheds one tear

But He cries, He weeps, He bleeds
And He cares for your needs
And you just lay back
And keep soaking it in,
Oh, can't you see it's such a sin?

Cause He brings people to you door,
And you turn them away
As you smile and say,
"God bless you, be at peace"
And all heaven just weeps
Cause Jesus came to you door
You've left him out on the streets

Open up open up
And give yourself away
You see the need, you hear the cries
So how can you delay

God's calling and you're the one
But like Jonah you run
He's told you to speak
But you keep holding it in,
Oh can't you see it's such a sin?

The world is sleeping in the dark
That the church just can't fight
Cause it's asleep in the light
How can you be so dead
When you've been so well fed
Jesus rose from the grave
And you, you can't even get out of bed

Oh, Jesus rose from the dead
Come on, get out of your bed

How can you be so numb
Not to care if they come
You close your eyes
And pretend the job's done
You close your eyes
And pretend the job's done

Don't close your eyes
Don't pretend the jobs done
Come away, come away, come away with Me my love,
Come away, from this mess, come away with Me, my love.

Asleep In the Light - Keith Green

God freely gave us salvation, we should freely share.

Please don’t think that I am cold and heartless. I do talk to a lot of people about my faith. I pray for people, and with people (not as often as I should). I know I could do more…MUCH more. Ray Comfort preached a message having to deal with Developing a Passion For Lost Souls. I’ll scrounge around and see if I can find it. It’s a pretty good message. Maybe you can find it on the web and download it. Recommended listening. I’m going to pray for that soft heart again. I’m going to pray for that passion and fire once more. If you ignored the disclaimer and read this post, maybe this applies to you. If so pray with me…if not pray for me. Thanks!

God Bless!

“…holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:” Heb. 12:14

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I read your postings I would feel that you are to deep for the majority of coffee house Christians. You see, most today just want a title and not a real experience with a living God. The majority still want their sin and salvation all in one so we have a bunch of ineffective Christians. The people of the world don't want wordly answers they want a real Saviour. Why do they want what we have if the only difference is we say we are Christian but act like them.