Thursday, October 21, 2004

Learning at Jesus' Feet

I used to tell myself that if Jesus still walked the earth today that I would have greater faith. I would have better understanding of the scripture. I would remain steadfast and not waver. Why not? Didn’t he provide all that he and his disciples needed? Food (feeding 4,000 or 5,000+ people with some leftovers); health (countless people he healed); money (Peter and the coin in the fishes mouth); comfort. Only if we could still learn at Jesus’ feet. Then I would ask myself “would I be one of them that turned away from such a radical?” I don’t think so. Don’t misunderstand, I have had my moments of doubt and turning away. But if I can believe and follow Him without having a tangible, touchable Jesus, I would certainly follow while he was on the earth.

John 20:29
“Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.”

I guess the point I’m trying to make is this: we can still learn at Jesus’ feet. Yes he has left physically, but now he lives IN us. How many understand that? Jesus said he would be with us always. He still comforts. He still teaches. He still feeds. He still heals. He has sent his Holy Spirit into the world; into our lives to take his physical place. After the time he spent with the disciples and the dependency they must have had on him, do you actually think he could leave and not fill that void in their lives? We have (or should have) that same dependency. We are actually born with this void in our lives. When we receive Jesus this void begins to fill. I don’t believe it’s totally filled until we put our complete faith and trust in him. Otherwise we would stop seeking as soon as we accepted Jesus into our lives. If you are saved, he is there in your life. It’s a matter of listening and in some cases seeking him. Why don’t you see him?

1 Kings 19
“11 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake: 12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. 13 And it was so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave.”

I believe many are looking in the wrong place. The charismatics are looking in the fire, earthquake and wind. Sometimes he still moves like that. Most other denominations and non-denominations aren’t looking at all because God doesn’t move or speak anymore(?!?!). And most of us don’t have (or take) the time to stop and listen for that still small voice. 100% of the time he will answer the prayer of the faithful. 98% of the time he will speak in that still small voice. Maybe 2% will be in fire, earthquake and wind. Are we seeking in the right spot? If you take time to stop and smell the roses today, forget the roses. Take that time and listen for the still small voice. This is how we can still learn at Jesus’ feet. Can you see him now?

God bless.

“…holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:” Heb. 12:14

No comments: