Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Election Day; God's Longsuffering or God's Judgment

Happy Election Tuesday from the Swing-State!

Today we decide the fate of our great nation. Do we hand over the reins of our leadership and security to a new man and the United Nations or do we ride this storm out like a cowboy? We could argue, debate, fight and disagree but does it matter? I mean after all, the Weekly Reader Poll has already been taken. Isn't that good enough?

We buckeyes don't measure the scale...we own the scale. After hearing that Ohio usually decides the election I felt pretty confident. You drive through our town and many other small towns in our area and all the signs point to Bush/Cheney. Than I spent some time out by Cleveland last week and their signs are telling a different story. It could go either way. How should we feel if our candidate doesn't get in? Is it all doom if John Kerry gets into office? Is it all better if George Bush stays in office? You see what my title is today. I believe that God is in complete control of who gets elected President. Obviously we have free-will to vote for whoever we want, but I believe God puts in office who he wants (or who we need) in office. Let me explain. If elections were in November of 2001 when America was still in her "God Bless America" fad, I have no doubts that George Bush would have been re-elected in a heart beat. Why not put a 'religious' man in charge of a 'religious' nation? Well, that phase is past. I no longer see "God Bless America" on Gas Station signs or Liquor Store signs or Bar signs or even Church signs. Most church signs are the cutesy little creative sayings like "Sign Broken: Message Inside". Do people actually fall for that? Anyways, back to the subject. Our religious feelings didn't last long. We don't want to be a Christian society. We like to be un-decided. Don't label me as Christian because it takes away too many of my liberties. We are on a moral decline. What's to say we don't vote in John Kerry and things fall apart? Maybe this is God's way of drawing us back to Him.

When God set up kings in Israel, I can't help but believe that He had intentions of bringing His people back to Him. Especially with the wicked kings. Look at the attacks that went on. Than people would repent and call out to God and God would pull them out. Is He looking for us to repent? This may be God's Judgment. I'm not saying that I agree with the 9/11 attacks or anything of that sort. But I do believe God knew they were coming. Why He let them happen is beyond me. The book of Job proves that the devil has to have God's permission before afflicting a person (or I believe a people). I believe the pressure will increase until we make a turn back to God.

On the flip side, I do not believe that George Bush will make all of the problems go away. I know that he is not a perfect man, leader or Christian. I do believe that he seeks the Lord, though. To me, that is a big factor. Who knows, he may be the man standing in the gap.

Regardless of who gets voted in, remember the words of Ecclesiastes 10:20 "Curse not the king, no not in thy thought; and curse not the rich in thy bedchamber: for a bird of the air shall carry the voice, and that which hath wings shall tell the matter." Yes, it is true that this was probably written by Solomon, a king and a rich man. But none-the-less. I think that we have to trust God in His doings. It will be hard not to complain if my candidate doesn't get elected; but God is in control.

P.S. I put another link off to the left, there. A great ministry helping in child-rearing, home schooling and all around sound Biblical teaching. They have a lot of resources available. Definitely one of our favorite ministries. If the link doesn't work for some reason, it's nogreaterjoy.org. Visit them today, and tell them Troy sent you...they'll have no idea what you're talking about.

God Bless!

“…holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:” Heb. 12:14

No comments: