Thursday, November 25, 2004

Bible Translations

First of all, I am going to point you to the article I talked about in my last post. It was written by Michael Pearl of the No Greater Joy ministry. He wrote this article in reference to a book he was offering on his web-site concerning Bible Translations. It's an interesting article.

Second of all, I will post some information concerning Regan's comments to my last post (thanks for reading, Regan). What the book that I quoted from in my last post is claiming is that more modern translations leave information out that the KJV includes. I gave Regan one example, but here are a few more. I will not type both versions of the scripture but will print what the NIV leaves out of each scripture. Be sure to follow along in your OWN Bibles to be sure I don't make any mistakes. And feel free to correct me if I do.

Col 1:14 ...through his blood
Mat 5:44 ...bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you
Mat 9:13 ...to repentance
1 Cor 5:7 ...for us
Mat 19:9 ...and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery
Mat 20:16 ...for many be called but few chosen
Mat 23:14 Deletes this whole verse
Mar 10:21 ...take up the cross
Mar 10:24 ...for them that trust in riches
Mar 11:26 Deletes this whole verse
Joh 6:47 ...on me
I Tim 6:5 ...from such withdraw thyself

I understand that these phrases don't sound like much in this form. Read them in context and I can see why there is some concern. Dr. Jones (the author of the book) says that this is just a small sampling from the NIV. He also says that the NIV has fewer omissions than the New American Standard, Revised Standard, New English, etc. He appears to have done his homework. Which leads me to my third of all.

Third of all, I will bow out of any further discussion on this topic. The only reason I posted what I did tonight was because I said I would in my last post. I like to try to keep my word. I have not done much research in this area and I was foolish to bring it up. If I were to be challenged on it, I would not be able to defend myself. You don't choose battles that you are not equipped to fight. I do find this study interesting, and if someone asks my opinion I will give it with the understanding that that's all it is. My opinion. I can also point to a few resources. I am not saying that I have changed my view or that I have been challenged. That is not the case. I still believe that the KJV is the most accurate version of the Bible, but that is based completely on other peoples research. I like to be sure about what I post. I feel I can back up my previous posts with scripture. This one I cannot. I have not viewed the different Greek texts that are in question. Even if I did, I would still not be a threat because I don't speak, read or write Greek. There is my concession.

Fourth of all, I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. I got to spend time with my family, which doesn't happen often enough. Ate plenty of food. Have three more days off to look forward to. And I am so thankful for so many things. Give God thanks every day this year!

God Bless!

“…holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:” Heb. 12:14

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Troy,

I just wanted to let you know that Bryce has some very interesting insights into the whole Bible translation debate. I don't know how you feel about women posting on your site, but I wanted to tell you that I read your stuff and pass it on to Bryce. He doesn't like to post comments very much.

One thing I will say is this: I love the Pearls and think that all their resources on child training and health are a real blessing. But I don't know about some of their other beliefs. For instance, the translation thing. Mr. Pearl almost takes a "more holier than thou" stand on the KJV vs. other translations.

Anyway, call or e-mail Bryce sometime if you ever want to discuss it with him what he has found out.

Angel Steiner

Troy said...

Angel,
I don't mind women posting comments. I think if you have a spiritual question or struggle you need to go to your husband, but always feel free to ask questions about something I said (wrote) or post a comment that's related.

About Mike Pearl's teaching; I could see where people would see his attitude and personality as 'holier than thou'. All of his teaching (the child training included) could come across like that. I don't think it's pride (completely). I've heard him say he may be a bit arrogant at times. I've noticed that in some of his teaching. I also think he is very confident in what he teaches. When you are confident in what you teach/preach, you teach/preach with authority. Didn't the people in Jesus' day notice that about him? That He taught with authority? The early scribes/Pharisees theorized and speculated about the coming Messiah, but Jesus spoke with authority about these things. He had confidence in them. I learn better from a person who is confident about what they are teaching. I don't want a wimpy minister who is always questioning and second guessing himself about what he is speaking. If he is not confident in what he preaches/teaches he needs not to teach and preach. We need to be so confident in our faith that we speak openly with authority about it. I get wimpy at times with the "...I believe..." or "...I think..." stuff. If the Bible states it, it should be "I know for a fact!" Anyways, I like Mr. Pearl's teaching. I do agree with most (not all) of what he says. What's more, I like his no-nonsence teaching. You never have to guess what he's trying to get at. I understand that not all people relate well with a strong personality. Especially if it goes against your belief.

And about the offer to get with Bryce; I may take you up on that at a later time. Right now I am swamped with things. Let me get through this book I'm reading and I will get with him. It will probably be after the holidays. Things SHOULD slow down than.

Sorry for the length of this comment. And always, thanks for reading and God bless!!

Anonymous said...

Troy,

I discuss with Bryce every time I post something on a blog to make sure I am not saying something wrong. The things that get posted are with his knowledge and approval.

As for Michael Pearl's teachings, we both (Bryce and I) that he is an excellent teacher and teaches with authority. We just don't see how he can have authority on a subject such as what version of the Bible is the "right" one that's all.

Resources Bryce knows of is from (I think) George Faull and Terry Carter. He has shared them with me. Those two men also speak with authority and I have great respect for them as well as Michael Pearl.

Thanks for responding!

Angel

Anonymous said...

Well, I have very little respect for Michael Pearl and his teachings. His hermenuetics are lousy, his logic faulty, and his child "training" techniques based on behaviourism--and not the Bible or the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I'd suggest you look at what you're reading with a more critical eye.

Troy said...

To the last comment. Can I convince you to share some of his faulty logic and teachings? Like I said, I agree with most, but not all. I have no problem with his child training methods. I do believe they are Bible based. Please enlighten. Thanks!