Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Music In the Church

Yesterdays post wasn’t really about music in the church; specifically. But this is definitely a gorge in churches that separates. Regan brought up the point that we will never have a unified church because people aren’t willing to submit themselves unto someone else’s doctrine or music. This may have stemmed from Fridays post that kind of went the direction of modern music. (Regan, feel free to jump in if I have mistaken your comment.) That post wasn’t really about music in the church either, but music in general. I am not trying to be divisive in this area. I think that the music that we submit ourselves to has an effect on our thinking, behavior and even our spiritual growth. It has nothing to do with the style or my personal preference. It’s a lot about the content. If you want to call rap music poetry, call it poetry. What you hear on the radio is x-rated poetry; full of sex, violence and drugs. Rock and Roll and Pop aren’t any better. Call them what you will. I can only speak from personal experience. I know what the lyrics say in the music I used to listen to. I’m ashamed I used to listen to it.

Another example: we had a high school intern working with us this summer. He worked at the computer next to mine. He was listening to a CD on his computer. I asked him what he was listening to, in a kind and tactful manner. He told me the name of it, which I can’t remember right now. He started telling me about the type of music he likes to work out to and what he listens to before he wrestles (in competition) and what he likes to listen to when he runs. I asked him about the music he listens to before wrestling. He says it “hypes” him up. It makes him want to punch a wall and hurt someone. It helps him perform better on the mat. I asked him if that wasn’t strange that it makes him want to “punch a wall and hurt someone”. For some reason, it didn’t phase him much. I asked him if that’s the kind of music he would want his kids to listen to. He said that after high school he would probably grow up and grow out of that kind of music. “But not right now.” Maybe it’s just him that this music does this to, but I doubt it. I read a research article a few years back of the effects certain types of music has on behavior and thought patterns and so-forth. That may be part of the reason I feel so strongly about this. And because of the effect it had on my life. Maybe it doesn’t effect everyone the same way. Once again, I doubt it.

About music in the church. If you read the comments made to yesterdays post, I mentioned being non-instrumental. This is not a preference. I don’t have a problem with instruments. We are not non-instrumental where we go now. I personally like the piano and the organ and the tambourine and maybe even the acoustical guitar. If it happened to offend someone, I would say “get rid of them all”. No, I’m not trying to be a jerk or throw a fit. I just think that music is a foolish thing to split over. It should not be the music program that holds a church together. If it is, there is a deeper problem. If the power went out at your church and the amplifiers stopped working, could the band put their instruments down and finish the service? If so, that’s what it’s about. Worshipping God with our hearts. If that’s using a guitar, than use a guitar. I know most of us have voices, though. And I don’t think God cares if I can’t sing on tune. If it comes from my heart, it’s pleasing to the Lord. I have also seen emotions run a service, too. I don’t think we should look to our worship service for the “high” we might get from it. And not just from the band. I have seen the song leader let their emotions run rampant when it just them and an organ. The song service, I feel, should compliment the teaching/preaching service. Not overshadow it.

There is no way around it. Music will always be divisive. And it’s not just because it’s not what Troy wants. Like I said, I love to hear instruments. We love music in our house. But in church. If we don’t allow it in, there is nothing to be divisive about. If the rule is set and not wavered upon, people coming in know the rules and the rules won’t be changed. I’ve been to black churches where the piano or other instruments may have hindered the music portion of the service. It was beautiful. There where no drums or guitars or pianos or organs or keyboards. Nothing but the hearts and souls of the congregation. Worshipping the Lord. I am not about to say how your church needs to conduct your worship service. Obviously most people don’t disagree with the music in their church services or they wouldn’t be there. You do as the Lord leads you.

God Bless!

“…holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:” Heb. 12:14



1 comment:

Regan Clem said...

You stated my thoughts correctly. However, I wasn't at all referring to music outside of church. Most Christians seem to be in agreement on what is and isn't appropriate there. It's just when it comes to being inside the church. What style? Even non-instrumental music would have tons of different styles and songs. Do you use hymns, contemporary choruses, modern hymns, etc.? But I agree that music is never worth dividing over. I've only been in one church in my entire life where I have enjoyed the music style, but that doesn't mean I can't worship God through music in all of them. One of my friends proposes no music at all because it is so divisive. I wouldn't go that far, but I think it is a reaction to people overemphasizing the music part of the worship service a little too much.

I always enjoy your thoughts.